Almost two years ago I posted a sketch that I had intended to use for a postcard mailing. I wanted to do the illustration in color, but I didn’t start on it right away which meant I spent some extra time thinking about it. Some things weren’t quite right in it for me, but until a couple of weeks ago I didn’t take the time to fix the problems.
First off, here’s the original sketch:
And here’s the new sketch:
Not a big difference, but the new version made me much happier.
I also decided not to add color at all. I’m doing the whole thing in graphite with (hopefully) some really cool dramatic lighting. At least that’s the plan. I’ll post the final in a few weeks.
By the way, the boy’s name is Nick and his friend is Clarice.